Friday, March 31, 2006

Watching Lassie... ...and Other Good Times

Like most days, yesterday was pretty busy. I drove to a client's office in the morning, worked on proposals, bought and installed some new office equipment, rearranged my office to make it fit, and generally stayed busy all day long. I met Erin and the kids for supper at Pizza Hut. When we left there, Erin and the kids swung by the library to return and pick up some movies and then made a delivery to one of her customers. I, on the other hand, went to Walmart to pick up various needed items.

When we got home, Caitlin asked if I would watch Lassie with her. This is not something that would ordinarily appeal to me as an adult. I'm more an action-adventure or comedy kind of guy. But, my daughter wanted to watch a movie with me. We went and plopped down in front of the tube and watched Lassie. This wasn't the vintage flick, but a fairly recent presentation. As we sat, or sprawled, next to each other, Cailtlin kept leaning over and giving me hugs and saying, "You're the best Daddy ever!" Good stuff. These are the times I'll remember when she's all grown up.

After a while, her brother, Collin, came running into the room and piled onto my back. He bounced up and down like I was his favorite horse and he was getting a rough ride. He is such a funny kid. He's so expressive and animated.

I love my kids. I love them so much it hurts. Sometimes though, I get so busy I neglect to take the time to do simple little things like watching a movie, playing Hot Wheels, or kicking the soccer ball around the back yard. I know from my own childhood that those activities are more likely to have a lasting impact than big trips, fancy gifts or anything else. I pray that I take the time to be a good dad so that my kids enjoy their childhood and reflect as fondly on it as I do mine.

-26

No comments: