Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me

Today is my 34th birthday. I can no longer consider myself in my "early" 30's. I am pretty much in my "mid" 30's now. And you know, that's okay. I am pretty happy with my life right now.

By many measures promulgated by the world at large, I would not be considered an outstanding success. I do not make a tremendous amount of money. I do no live in an enormous, posh home. I don't drive a fancy, new automobile. I don't take luxurious trips to exotic locations. I haven't invented a cure for anything. I don't control a government or a major international corporation. I am not dashingly handsome. I cannot sing at the Met. I am not a pofessionl athlete. I don't run a charity.

That is a very incomplete list of the many things I am not. But, I am okay with that list. I am very happy with what I am and what I do have. I belong to a God who thought I was worth the ultimate sacrifice. I have an amazing, talented, beautiful wife who loves God, me and our kids, in that order. A few years back, my wife and I started our own bsinesses. I am not Nelson Rockefeller, but we manage to pay the bills. We live in a cute house which is small by contemporary American standards, but is luxurious beyond the imaginings of a large portion of the world's population. We own two cars. We own them outright, as in no payments. That is the world's best option. Although they aren't new, they do exactly what we need them to, and they still look nice and are in good shape. I have two beautiful kids who are amazing to watch, teach, and learn from. So, by a number of standards, my life is very full and successful. I am richly blessed.

-10.4

No comments: