Sunday, March 12, 2006

Sanctity of Marriage

I tell you what, God's institution of marriage is under a direct frontal assault. This has really been on my heart lately. We know so many couples with serious marital troubles.

When I married my wife, I married my best friend in the world. I pledged to her and to God to hold her interests above my own. I pledged to honor her, to be faithful to her, and to stay with her through thick and thin. We had dated for nearly 4 years, and knew each other better than many couples who have been married a few years.

The thought of intentionally (or even untinentionally) hurting my wife is anathema to me. When she hurts, I hurt. I know that she feels the same.

And yet, we know several couples where one or both of the individuals seem hell-bent on sending the marriage to the junk-heap. At best, they are unconscionably rude to one another. In the worst instance, one is blatantly flaunting an extramarital affair. In a third case, one has just moved out and refuses to consider a reconciliation. The fact that these people are willing to trash a relationship which is supposed to be second only to their relationship with God is sad enough. But, in all of these cases, there are small children involved. The offenders either pretend it won't affect the kids, or outright don't care. So, these people are ruining not just their lives, but those of innocent kids as well.

I believe that your relationship with your spouse is often a pretty good reflection of your relationship with God. This seems to be true in the cases of all of these marriages. One or both of the spouses have either quit coming to church altogether or quit interacting with Christian friends. This is almost as sad as the destruction of the marriage.

Please join me in praying for all of our marriages, families, and our relationships with God. Pray for our kids and their future marriages.

-18.8

No comments: