Thursday, April 06, 2006

Space... ...The Final Frontier

Every time I say, "There's no way we can fit anything else in here," I am wrong. We have a fairly small house (~1500 ft^2) and my office at work is pretty small for a self-contained business (~180 ft^2). In both cases, when they were acquired, we thought that there was no way we'd ever fill them up. A few years later... ...well we were wrong.

You walk into my house or my office and you'll be amazed at how much STUFF is jammed in there. It has for years looked like there couldn't possibly be room for anything else. But then, we rearrange stuff and fit more in. I swear that if we bought a 3000 ft^2 house, we'd instantly fill it up with stuff currently filling a house half that size. And, it wouldn't look sparse or empty.

I won't discuss everything in the house because there's just too much stuff. But, I'll share with you the junk in my office. Now remember, this is a 10'x18' office and I have to leave a path to the door. I have the following stuff in there:
  • A 5' long computer desk,
  • A printer table,
  • Two 6' long work tables,
  • A huge 5'x5' flat file cabinet,
  • Two 6' tall book shelves,
  • Two 4-drawer file cabinets,
  • Two engineering plotters (printers for 36" wide drawings).

Behind the door, I've got two chairs and a card table folded, just in case I need more surface or places to sit. I also have a vacuum cleaner shoved into one corner.

Sometimes I think we've got a couple of physics projects going on. I mean, it's like we really are trying to find out if two objects can indeed occupy the same space at the same time. Call the Nobel prize people. I think we deserve something. Just think, we could end urban sprawl. We could just pack the entire population of Dallas into a couple of storage trailers. I mean, sure, work on that scale is way off into the future. But, you can see the potential, right?

-26.4

No comments: