Sunday, March 05, 2006

A day for the kids

Yesterday was a day I spent mostly for my kids. The one thing I did pretty much for myself was my morning workout. Shortly thereafter, I left the house to attend a coaching seminar for Upward Soccer.

As I've previously mentioned, I'm going to be the coach for my son's team. This goes a bit outside of my comfort zone. But, they were short of volunteers, and I want my boy to enjoy his soccer experience. The pastor for Hulen Street Baptist was there to thank us for our participation and remind us that this is not just a sport season, it's a ministry to the kids and their parents. A former pro soccer player was there. He spent a good bit of the day teaching us methods to teach the kids, keep it interesting, mentor them, and exhibit the Lord to them. Although this was something done for my son, I felt blessed myself by the end of the 5 hour session.

I got home from this just in time to take my son to the birthday party of a friend. The party was at the TCU baseball game. In times past, taking Collin to a full-length sporting event has been... ...less than pleasant. But, he really behaved well. He got into the game. He played sweetly with the other kids. He followed instructions. He genuinely seemed to enjoy himself. And so, I really enjoyed myself. Again, an event that I wasn't necessarily excited about turned into a blessing.

So, a day spent in the service of others (mostly my son) turned out to have been a blesing to me. That vaguely seems like something I might have read in the Bible somewhere. Hmmm!!! That God fellow must be pretty bright. God, thank you for the many blessings you have showered upon an undeserving sinner. I love my wife, my kids, and my station in life.

-13

No comments: