Tuesday, August 22, 2006

New Bike's Here, Big Ride's Comin'

After several maintenance issues with my old bike, I finally ponied up and bought a "new" (to me) bike. It's a 2005 Trek 1200 (pretty nice aluminum-framed road bike with carbon forks and seat post) that was traded in after being ridden for about six months. The original owner decided to step up to a several thousand dollar carbon-framed bike. I reaped the fruits of his excess. Bicycles Inc. gave me a great deal on the bike, fitted it to me, and offered me 90 days worth of free maintenance and adjustments.

I rode it once on Sunday morning. I really enjoyed the ride, but took it back today for some slight adjustments to the derailleurs (the thing that moves the chain between gears) and shifters. I'm planning another ride tomorrow morning before work. The short ride I took on Sunday showed me a glimpse of what I think I'll see tomorrow.

The new bike is about 10 pounds lighter than the old one. It has 27 gears where the old one had 12. It has higher high gears and lower low gears. The frame is aluminum with carbon components, so it will be a little less rough than the old steel-framed bike. The wheels and tires can hold more pressure, so the rolling resistance will be less. All in all, I expect much better performance on the new bike.

As I've posted before, I will be riding in the Hotter'n Hell Hundred this Saturday. I previously said I was only going to ride the 100k, not the 100 mile. Now, I'm wavering. I've almost decided to ride the 100 miler. Both courses share the road for about 30 miles. At that point, you have to go with one group or the other. If I'm still feeling pretty salty, I think I'll go the 100 mile route. Hopefully, this won't be a decision I'll regret. Wish me luck.

-47 - I think I'll quit posting my weight loss at this point. I'm now to the point where I'm actually trying to gain muscle and expect to gain a bit.

3 comments:

Keith Hollar said...

Whoa! Check you out! Going for the whole enchilada, huh? I actually was wondering if you might end up thinking along those lines since you've done quite a few long rides already with quick times.

Certainly don't worry about holding back on my account. If you decide to go for the 100 mile you've got my support.

mdlea_eng said...

I'm not dead-on certain yet. Just ponderin'. Erin wants me to go get a physical to make sure the doc agrees that I'm up for the 100 miler. I guess that's not too bad an idea.

I got out this morning and knocked down 38.125 miles through pretty hilly back roads in 2 hours 4 minutes. That was 1-2mph better than my old bike over the same course and I wasn't really pushin' it. I hardly drank any water and neglected to stop and eat my mid-ride snack. I also had to take it easy once I got to the Trinity Trailhead in Benbrook because the batteries in my light were abou dead.

I think the new bike is really a lot easier ride than the old one. I was getting some good speeds on it, but was really pushing myself to do it.

Anyway, we'll see!

mdlea_eng said...

Doc says I'm almost disgustingly healthy. Now, if I don't complete, I've got nothing to blame but conditioning and willpower.