Thursday, August 31, 2006

HHH 2006

Well, we did it. Keith Hollar and I proved our lack of rational thought processes by riding in the 25th annual Hotter'n Hell Hundred on August 26, 2006. The event lived up to its name it was 104-105 with a heat index of 107+. There was a wind from the south of about 25-28 mph with gusts up to 35. It was hot, windy and dry. Neither Keith nor I won any awards for speediness, but we conquered the day by crossing the finish line.

I rode the farthest ride I've ever ridden at a reasonable clip. Before the ride, the longest I'd been on the bike was 67 miles. This ride turned out to be right at 103 miles. I finished in something like 6 hours, 50 minutes. My on the bike speed (wheels moving, not counting rest stops) was 18.4 mph. My total average speed (counting rest stops, slow start and all) was right at 15 mph.

To further prove our insanity, Keith has already done his standard Tuesday workout ride and I rode 38 miles on Wednesday morning. Let me tell you, after the HHH, 38 miles in 70 degree weather felt EASY! Hopefully, I'll particiapate in a group ride every month or so from here on.

1 comment:

Keith Hollar said...

How'd you do on your 38 mile ride?

I did 16.5 mph average this morning and one of my best times for my normal weekday route.

I'm in for the Paluxy Pedal. I'll probably do the 60 mile route. Hope you can do the Cowtown.