Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Personal Best

Well, I got my bike back from the shop. So, I just had to take 'er out and give it a spin. The kids are at Granny's and Erin was playing Bunko, so last night was the perfect opportunity. I drove to the "trailhead" for the Trinity Trails near Winscott in Benbrook. I was initially thinking about a 50+ mile ride, but a brutal headwind quickly convinced me otherwise. I rode 44 miles in 2 hours, 40 minutes at an average speed of 16.5 mph. Without that headwind, I think I would have gone farther and faster.

Keith Hollar and I are going to go ride in the Hotter'n Hell 100 in Wichita Falls next month. I'm pretty pumped about it. We're going to ride in the 100k (62 mile) event, not the 100 mile event. I feel like challenging myself, not killing myself. Wish me luck.

-47

4 comments:

Keith Hollar said...

Dude! Way to go. Man, you're making me sick. You're already up to 16.5 average. That's awesome. I'm afraid I'm going to be eating your dust in Wichita Falls. Looking forward to our trip very much. I'm going out tomorrow to do 50 miles. I'll let you know how it goes.

Keith Hollar said...

I guess you'll have to update your post now after your 60 mile ride.

mdlea_eng said...

At your request, Keith. On Saturday, August 5, I rode 62.5 miles (100k) in 3 hours 5 minutes. I had several things working for me. One, I hadn't ridden in several days and my legs were fresh. Two, I had new clipless pedals and that helped. Three, I was on one of the flattest areas on God's earth. I though I'd see if I could repeat on Monday and went about 57 miles in 3 hours 4 minutes. I think I was pushing it by stringing two such long rides so close together. I felt thrashed the entire ride and turned around before I had on the other ride.

Keith Hollar said...

Still a very good time & avg speed. And that will be good training for the HHH!